What To Do If You Are In An Oregon Ski Accident
If you are in a ski accident, try to record as much information as you can about the accident. Oregon ski law sets a goal that all persons involved in an accident should exchange names and numbers, but that may not always be the case.
Cell phones are a great way of recording information about the scene. If you are injured and unable to gather information, ask a companion to use a phone to make a record.
- Take pictures or make note of any natural or artificial markers. This will be useful for future identification of the accident scene.
- Try to get the name of the person who hit you, or get a picture.
- Try to get the names of any witnesses to the accident.
- If your equipment is damaged in the accident, take a picture at the scene.
- It may seem gruesome, but if you suffer an injury, take pictures of your injury.
Human nature can play a major role in Oregon ski accidents. Because there can be significant and painful contact between two skiers, it can be hard to keep emotions in check. Tempers can flare and fights frequently break out. Getting involved in a fight can seriously affect liability. The law allows you to take reasonable steps to protect yourself, but you should avoid being overly aggressive if you can.
Timing of reporting the accident is critical. If you can, file a report as soon as possible after the accident. The more important deadline, however, is that the ski area operator must be notified of injury or death within 180 days following the accident by registered or certified mail. This deadline is crucial to preserve all legal claims. Then the injured party has two years from the date of the injury to commence a lawsuit.
Protect Yourself in the Event of a Portland Ski Accident
If you have been hurt while skiing in Portland, you need to ensure that your injuries are taken care of and that the responsible party makes recompense for their actions. Call Richard Rizk at (503) 245-5677 for a free consultation.
If you would like learn more about Oregon Ski accidents, please read our page on The Basics of Ski Law in Oregon.
Learn More About Oregon Ski Accidents
- The basics of Oregon ski law
- Inherent risks of skiing in Oregon
- Ski area operator liability in Oregon
- Oregon man-made structures
- Ski Spectators in Oregon
- Other skiers & assumption of risk in Oregon
- Retaliation after a ski collision in Oregon
- Products liability in Oregon
- Punitive damages in Oregon
- Ski Lift Accidents in Oregon
- Oregon Waivers & releases
- Skier rescue in Oregon