Portland Motorcycle Accident Attorney
We Represent Injured Motorcyclists in the Portland Area
Many people in and around Portland choose a motorcycle for recreational rides, or even as their primary method of transportation. Selecting the right bike, wearing a helmet and safety gear, and taking a safety course all help reduce the risks of injuries from motorcycle accidents. Unfortunately, even the most skilled and careful motorcyclists are still at risk of suffering serious injuries in accidents with other vehicles. Even nonfatal accidents may leave a motorcyclist with permanent disabling and disfiguring injuries.
Approximately 92,000 motorcycle accidents were reported in one year in the U.S., which means more than 250 accidents per day. These statistics motorcycle accidents happen all too often. While a crash itself is traumatic, the aftermath can be equally distressing. Recuperating from serious injuries while medical bill mount, especially if you are unable to work and earn income, can be overwhelmingly stressful for you and your family. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help you navigate the legal system and recover just compensation for your injuries while you focus on your physical recovery.
At Rizk Law, we advocate for the rights of motorcycle accident victims and fight for the best possible outcome for our clients. We can help you recover compensation for the extensive losses stemming from a motorcycle accident. If you would like to learn more about your rights and available remedies for injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident, contact us online or call 503-245-5677 today for a free consultation.
What Led to Your Motorcycle Crash?
One of the primary factors in any motorcycle accident case is determining what caused the crash. If your crash happened because another person or party was negligent in some way, the law gives you the right to seek financial relief from that party. Negligence occurs when another party owed you a specific duty of care and then failed to abide by that duty, resulting in an accident that caused your injuries.
Drivers owe motorcyclists – like all other motorists – the duty to operate their cars and trucks in a reasonably safe manner. When a driver makes a mistake or acts carelessly, they may be found negligent if they caused harm as a result. Some examples of negligence that cause motorcycle accidents include:
- Driver error – Drivers can be negligent in many different ways that lead to motorcycle crashes. Distracted driving is one of the primary causes of this type of accident. Motorcycles are already harder to see than larger vehicles. When a driver is distracted, it increases the risk of simply failing to see a motorcycle and colliding with it. Other common forms of driver negligence include speeding, tailgating, drunk driving, aggressive driving, and failing to yield.
- Dangerous roads – Road hazards such as potholes, cracks, and crumbling pavement are particularly dangerous for motorcycles. Motorcycles often have less traction with the road and may slip on sand, gravel, or other loose material on the road. Additionally, a pothole can stop the front wheel of a motorcycle dead in its tracks, while the rest of the motorcycle flips over, throwing the motorcyclist off. Government agencies and property owners that fail to properly maintain roadways or cause hazardous road conditions may be responsible for a motorcyclist’s injuries as a result.
- Defective motorcycle parts – Motorcycle manufacturers intend to design and produce bikes that are safe to ride. However, you need only to look at the recall list updated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to find many different motorcycle parts recalled for defects on a regular basis. In many cases, the recall happens only after numerous motorcyclists suffer injuries in crashes caused by a defect or malfunction.
Accident cases involving defective or improperly manufactured parts or hazardous roadway conditions can be complex, with claims against manufacturers, insurance companies, and government entities or agencies responsible for roadway design and maintenance. If your accident may have resulted from a motorcycle defect or hazardous road condition, you should seek help from a lawyer who has experience in these complex types of cases and knows how to best protect your rights.
Motorcycle Accident Victims Can Incur Substantial Losses
All too often motorcyclists suffer severe and catastrophic injuries in accidents, resulting in extensive losses. Brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and paralysis, crushed limbs, road rash burns, and many other traumatic injuries require emergency medical help and may require ongoing treatment for weeks, months, or years. Motorcycle accident victims may expect losses to include:
- Medical bills
- Expenses for any medical treatment necessary in the future
- Wages lost from missing work
- Lost earning power if an injury prevents returning to a previous job
- Lost future income if an injury prevents returning work altogether
- Loss of enjoyment of life if changes had to be made
- Expenses necessary to accommodate a permanent disability
An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help you accurately calculate your past and future losses and ensure you recover just compensation.
Taking Action After a Motorcycle Accident
Injured motorcycle accident victims can seek compensation in several different ways. First, they typically can file an insurance claim with the company representing the negligent party. The claims process can be long and arduous, with the insurance company trying to get accident victims to accept lowball offers and delaying payment. The right attorney can handle the entire insurance process on your behalf to best protect your interests.
In some cases, it is necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court. You need a lawyer who is not afraid to initiate litigation when necessary and who knows how to handle the entire litigation process and effectively negotiate the settlement you deserve.
Find Out How a Portland Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Assist You
Rizk Law regularly handles cases involving motorcycle accidents and a wide variety of injuries. If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, we will take on the negligent driver’s insurance company and pursue litigation if necessary to protect your right to fair compensation for your injuries. Rizk Law represents clients in the Portland metro area, Salem, Sandy, Newport, Corvallis, Eugene, Vancouver, and throughout Washington State. Contact us online or call 503-245-5677 to schedule your free consultation today.