Horror Stories that Last Through the Year
People tend to give all kinds of excuses when they are asked why they text while they drive. For most, it is that some texts are too important to be ignored. However, as one grieving mother puts it, no text message is more important than your own life.
You don’t want to be remembered by an unfinished sentence. Nothing is as important as you are. You should always remember this, because if you take your eyes and your mind off the road for more than three seconds, you are likely to wind up dead.
Another common excuse is that it is easy for them. According to a lot of people they “hold the phone up to windshield level so that it is easy to look at the road”. This is, to all intents and purposes, a steaming pile of fresh bovine excrement. No matter where you hold your phone, you can only give your full focus to one task at a time. You are a human, not a Hindu god.
One of the most “normal” ways to text while driving is to do it at a stop light. Confession: I’ve done this too. However, right after a text, what if there is a vehicle behind you tooting its horn? You are going to immediately shift gears and blow through the intersection. Your mind will still be distracted, so you won’t even see the 18 wheeler to your left until it is just too late.
These Deaths Can be Avoided
A moment of distraction can lead to a personal tragedy. We all make decisions, every day, sometimes the consequences of those decisions can be so final. Make wise decisions for you and those you love.
Mind Blowing Facts
- Over 2.5 million people in the U.S. are involved in road accidents each year. The population of the US is just 318.9 million. At this rate, the American people could be extinct in two human lifespans. This is an astounding number of traffic accidents.
- Of these, 1.6 million have a cell phone involved in them. That’s 64% of all the road accidents in the United States. Over half the road accidents in the States have cell phones involved, and if this doesn’t make you realize just how potent it is, what will?
- 37,000+ people die in automobile crashes in the U.S every year
- Every year, about 421,000 people are injured in crashes that have involved a driver who was distracted in some way.
- Each year, over 330,000 accidents caused by texting while driving lead to severe injuries. This means that over 78% of all distracted drivers are distracted because they have been texting while driving.
- 1 out of 4 car accidents in the US are caused by texting while driving.
Rizklaw is Here for YOU!
“I have experience seeing this from both sides of the coin. There is a reason I am on this side now!
From 1990 to 1996 I worked at Nationwide Insurance and Wausau Insurance in house counsel. In that role I defended workers’ compensation claims, slip and falls and car accident injury claims. From 1996 to 2000 I supervised and negotiated resolution of environmental claims and litigated cases nationally from Nationwide’s satellite home office in suburban Chicago.
Since then, I have switched to the side of righteousness and justice representing and litigating and resolving personal injury and insurance companies in Oregon and Washington state. Along the way, I have learned many valuable lessons and insights.”
Attorney Richard Rizk